The Code of the West was a gentleman’s agreement to certain rules of conduct. It was never written into the statutes, but it was respected everywhere on the range.” Ramon F. Adams (quoted in The Quotable Cowboy)
A few guidelines from the Code of the West (taken from LegendsofAmerica.com):
- Don’t inquire into a person’s past. Take the measure of a man for what he is today.
- Never steal another man’s horse. A horse thief pays with his life.
- Defend yourself whenever necessary.
- Look out for your own.
- Remove your guns before sitting at the dining table.
- Never order anything weaker than whiskey.