El Portal is open to submissions from all artists and writers. Submissions are published on the basis of talent, content, and editorial needs.
- Flash Fiction (up to 500 words)
- Short Stories (up to 4,000 words)
- Creative Nonfiction (up to 4,000 words)
- Poetry (up to 5 poems)
- Art & Photography (up to 5 pieces)
Please submit all written work in .doc, .docx, or .pdf formats. With the exception of poetry and art/photography, please limit entries to one story or essay. Simultaneous submissions are welcome. We simply ask that you inform the editorial staff (firstname.lastname@example.org) in a timely fashion if any of your pieces have been accepted elsewhere so that we may remove them from consideration.
For current ENMU students: prizes are awarded in the Fiction, Poetry, and Art/Photography categories. While we accept submissions from all artists, prizes are reserved for ENMU students only.
When entering a submission, please include a 50-100 word biography to be printed alongside your piece in the event that it is accepted for publication.
- We accept submissions at any time.
- Our staff reads year round.
- Please note that we are a university-based publication. Response times will be slower in the summer. Allow for 120 days for our staff to respond.
If you are interested in submitting work to a future issue of El Portal, you can do so by contacting the editorial staff at email@example.com. For more information on terms of submission, please visit our Submission Terms page. You can also visit the Past Contributors page to see who has contributed to El Portal in recent issues.